Today I'm going to be discussing a recent article I found on the new innovation that is sweeping the battlefield, as well as the civilian aviation community. The technology is something you've more than likely heard of as it's been around for a few years. Drones, also known as Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS), are the technology I'm referring to. According to Osborn with Fox News (2015), "There is still a robust military market for small UAS. We’re getting a lot of requests for demonstrations all the time. Everyone around the world saw how valuable these assets were in our latest conflicts. Everybody wants them,” he said.". (quoting the business director of development for Lockheed Martin)
Small versions of the large drones (such as the predator and other combat drones) are becoming the future in the aviation world. Apparently there's quite an economy for them, and globally it's been growing fairly consistently.
What are the implications of an unmanned aerial system in wartime use? Ethically how does it match up to utilitarianism for the complete good of mankind? I would argue that it actually follows the utilitarian idea in the fact that it saves more good lives then traditional boots on the ground fighting. Yes, it does put a lot of pressure and stress on the drone pilots, but in the end many lives are saved or potentially saved by using these small drones.
References:
Osborn, K. (2015, February 17). Global Market Growing for Miniature Drones. Retrieved from http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/02/17/global-market-growing-for-miniature-drones/.
No comments:
Post a Comment